Subject: Re: [boost] Current Guidance on Compiler Warnings?
From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-20 15:07:07

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 1:20 PM Brian Kuhl via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> I'd like to confirm the guidance on Warnings I find here
> https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines
> is still considered current?
>
> context ...
>
> At Wind River we are in the process of working with Boost 1.68 and VxWorks
> 7 (with Dinkum 7.00 with and Clang 6.0 for ARM and IA boards and GCC 8.1
> for PowerPC ) with the hope of bundling Boost with our product.
>
> Many of our customers make certified systems ( Planes, Trains, Medical
> Equipment, Factory Automation, etc. ) and the trend in theses industries is
> to be pedantic about eliminating all compiler warnings.

As someone who works with VxWorks at a company that does one of the above
(Planes), I'm happy to see Wind River finally getting to this point!

One thing that I think the community would find useful, would be if Wind
River would stand up some VxWorks-based tests environments that can run our
suite of regression tests. This would allow developers to get rapid
feedback on the affect of their changes to boost on VxWorks, including if
they introduce warnings. It would also be nice/useful to get the Dinkum
libraries tested separately from the VxWorks platform.

There are instructions for getting it setup here:
https://www.boost.org/development/running_regression_tests.html

You can see the results for the master/develop branches here:
https://www.boost.org/development/tests/master/developer/summary.html
https://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/summary.html

I'm assuming that you would be cross-compiling the tests, this might be a
bit more involved than what is talked about in the setup guide...having to
copy tests to a different platform to run. This has been done in the past
by some android developers, although their results aren't in the test
matrix anymore. I think they were using this script to run:
https://github.com/crystax/android-platform-ndk/blob/master/tests/run-boost-tests

Good luck!
Tom