Subject: [boost] Current Guidance on Compiler Warnings?
From: Brian Kuhl (kuhlenough_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-19 19:20:51

I'd like to confirm the guidance on Warnings I find here
https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines
is still considered current?

context ...

At Wind River we are in the process of working with Boost 1.68 and VxWorks
7 (with Dinkum 7.00 with and Clang 6.0 for ARM and IA boards and GCC 8.1
for PowerPC ) with the hope of bundling Boost with our product.

Many of our customers make certified systems ( Planes, Trains, Medical
Equipment, Factory Automation, etc. ) and the trend in theses industries is
to be pedantic about eliminating all compiler warnings.

While we have not traditionally required zero warnings in open source code
shipped with our product, there is pressure on us to move in that
direction, and as result we will probably be contributing pull requests
specifically to fix or suppress compiler warnings over the coming years.

I'd like to establish clear guidelines for my team as to what is an
appropriate "coding standard" for Boost in regards to compiler warnings.
While it is simple to say, everything displayed by -Wall, in practice there
are many edge cases, e.g. is an unused parameter acceptable in test code?
So I'd like to get the maintainers guidance.

Many thanks

Brian Kuhl