Subject: Re: [boost] Current Guidance on Compiler Warnings?
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-22 21:05:16

Apologies for the top post as I am on a tablet and can’t be arsed with
wrestling the iOS text selection interface. As the author of Beast I strive
to eliminate all warnings no matter how small. Otherwise users will
complain and I will still end up having to fix them anyway.

That said, there were a number of odd compiler version-specific warnings
which have plagued me for over a year. I am pleased to credit Damian Jarek
for getting to the bottom of the worst one, which manifests in gcc 8 and
later as a “possibly uninitialized” variable warning. For months we thought
it was spurious, but he got to the bottom of it and figured it out.

In terms of user satisfaction, it enhances the reputation of a library when
it can be consistently used without producing warnings. Or rather, it
tarnished the reputation of the library when warnings appear. “Fixing all
the warnings” is usually a cheap but effective way to raise the prestige of
a library.

Thanks