Subject: Re: [boost] question/guidence regarding merge to master
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-11 02:58:49

Robert Ramey wrote:
> I'm looking to merge my develop branch into the master so that they will
> be in sync. I'm thinking that this the changed in develop should be
> squashed so that the master branch doesn't included all the the
> intermediate changes made during the develop phase. Is there any boost
> rule/practice/guidence regarding this?. Ideally, I'd like to see the
> master have only one set of consolidated changes for each release. But
> I'm not the person who decides these things or does the work. Any insight
> by other parties would be appreciated.

My guideline is:

- work that has passed local tests goes into a feature branch
- feature branches that have passed CI go into develop
- develop that has not broken anything goes into master

That is, develop is not a place for experimentation (or, ironically stated,
develop is not for development). The squashing, if needed, happens on the
merge from the experimental feature branch into develop, not on the merge
from develop to master. Ideally, the merge from develop to master is
fast-forward and the two contain the same commits, with master just trailing
behind.