Subject: Re: [boost] question/guidence regarding merge to master
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-11 21:32:59

>> I'm looking to merge my develop branch into the master so that they
>> will be in sync.  I'm thinking that this the changed in develop should
>> be squashed so that the master branch doesn't included all the the
>> intermediate changes made during the develop phase.  Is there any
>> boost rule/practice/guidence regarding this?.  Ideally, I'd like to
>> see the master have only one set of consolidated changes for each
>> release.  But I'm not the person who decides these things or does the
>> work.  Any insight by other parties would be appreciated.
>
> My guideline is:
>
> - work that has passed local tests goes into a feature branch
> - feature branches that have passed CI go into develop
> - develop that has not broken anything goes into master

I find this too conservative myself. For me:

- develop branch is where development happens.
- master branch gets merges from develop branch when all tests pass on
all supported platforms.
- Particularly well tested moments in time of master branch get tagged
with version numbers or some other form of named stamp.

Feature branches off of develop occur only for "what if" experiments
which may be discarded, and for pull requests as usually people submit
PRs against master branch and I have to rebase them to develop.

Niall