Subject: [boost] Feedback desired for reflective enum library
From: Nir Friedman (quicknir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-11 23:25:14

Hey,

I have a reflective enum library available here:
https://github.com/quicknir/wise_enum. I've been working on this on and off
for a couple of months. I've added features, dealt with various issues,
added docs, expanded support through 11-17 and as idiomatically as
possible. Overall I think the library is in nice shape (lacks unit tests
though, though I do already have a boost license for the code).

I feel like a reflective enum is just a very standard requirement in pretty
much every codebase I've ever worked on. Simply to be able to reasonably
log enums already makes it mandatory. It's also invaluable in
configuration, error message alerting, and many other places. There is
nothing for this in boost and actually there isn't really much of a
standard, standalone solution anyway. The closest is Better Enums (
http://aantron.github.io/better-enums/), but this has some major issues (it
doesn't actually create enums but rather enum-like classes, it targets 03).

So I think a library like this is needed and my implementation ticks off
the major requirements. Feedback on the overall design, any issues, any key
features it fails to meet, would be very useful. The library itself is very
small and simple so its easy to review. Once it seems like there's some
consensus on the core design I'm willing to do the work involved getting it
into boost (naming conventions/requirements, directory structure, tests,
boost-style docs, etc).

Note I'm not on the boost mailing list so please respond directly to this
email so I can see!

Cheers,

Nir