Subject: Re: [boost] question/guidence regarding merge to master
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-12 19:46:32

Robert Ramey wrote:

> It's not that I'm against doing the "integration testing" at all. I
> recognize that this needs to be done from time to time - presumably soon
> before a new release is shipped.

No, it needs to be done continuously.

Allow me to repeat for context:

> - work that has passed local tests goes into a feature branch
> - feature branches that have passed CI go into develop
> - develop that has not broken anything goes into master

The point of not using develop for provisional changes is exactly to enable
other libraries to use it without breaking all the time. Provisional
changes, under this model, go into feature branches. Once they are no longer
provisional, they go into develop.

Under this model of development, develop is as stable as master would have
been otherwise.

Of course, if one of your dependent libraries does not use this model, and
"provisions" directly into develop, it makes things harder for you, because
develop breaks all the time. And conversely, if you "provision" directly
into develop, you make things harder for your dependencies.