Subject: Re: [boost] [Release] Boost 1.70.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 2
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-10 13:30:26

AMDG

On 3/9/19 5:57 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Steven Watanabe wrote:
>> > - I need to add <install-dependencies>on to >
>> https://github.com/boostorg/boost_install/blob/develop/boost-install.jam#L885
>>

> Like this?
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost_install/commit/5bc0961483e5b95b72032e2c3439a7a9be7134f2

That looks about right.

>> That's the quick fix.  I bet there's no CMake file for zlib either,
>> though.
>
> Yes, of course. This only takes care of the regression. If we want to
> support Iostreams built against our own zlib/bzlip2/zstd/lzma from
> CMake, we'll have to boost-install them somehow. But that's not
> something we absolutely need in 1.70 as long as it doesn't regress.

Right. I'm unhappy about having multiple partially
overlapping ways of tracking library dependencies,
but it's good enough for this release.

> And we probably need to think about it a bit more, because putting the
> responsibility for calling `boost-install boost_zlib` on Iostreams
> doesn't sound correct. After all, another Boost library may well want to
> use zlib too. But the less-incorrect answers to this will take us in
> interesting directions.

I /think/ it will be okay if multiple libraries pass
zlib to boost-install. In the long run, it's probably
best to generalize boost-install and pull it into Boost.Build.
I'm not sure how feasible that is, though.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe