Subject: Re: [boost] [Release] Boost 1.70.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 2
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-10 16:46:37

AMDG

On 3/10/19 9:09 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Steven Watanabe wrote:
>
>> > list(APPEND _BOOST_IOSTREAMS_DEPS zlib.1 headers)
>
>> You need to strip suffixes.  The library id only affects the internal
>> Boost.Build target name, not the file names.
>
> I'm not sure about that.
>
> The purpose of that incrementing library-id, as far as I can infer, is
> to enable two libraries to have their own private zlib dependencies.

That's not really correct. The reason for the library-id
is to make sure that target alternative selection only
happens at the top level on the /zlib//zlib target. After
reviewing the code again, I don't think library-id is needed
for the current version (Although removing the library-id will
cause a failure in the corner case of <build-name>zlib).
IIRC, an earlier version of zlib.jam had separate arguments
for the condition (applied to /zlib//zlib) and requirements
(applied to the actual library target).

> But
> since it's not reflected in the file names, trying to stage or install
> the two libraries will still fail unless they use distinct
> <build-name>s. And if they use distinct <build-name>s, there's no need
> to append a library-id to them.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe