Subject: Re: [boost] usage of auto in tutorials
From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-19 15:49:21

wt., 19 mar 2019 o 16:37 mike via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> napisał(a):

> [...]

There two sides to it. Yes, it is good to highlight new language features,
and how they can be used.
But it may conflict with the objectives of a tutorial, especially the
initial page: the potential user should get the picture how (s)he will be
using the library, as fast as possible. This may be the matter of seconds.
If we put off the potential user too much in this step, (s)he is likely to
drop our library and go to the competition or go to manually write a
similar (but lower quality) tool because determining whether our library
does what is needed took too long.

> Also, where does this end? Should tutorials stay away from
> rang based for loops? Smart pointers? Templates? Namespaces?
> C++ features all together?
>
> I know I'm exaggerating a bit, but I think it is a valid question.
> From the perspective of a c programmer, all those things are "new".
> However, outcome is a c++14 library so using c++14 features "where
> they are usefull" should not be avoided, but embraced.
>
> Again, I'm not suggestion auto should be used everywhere, because it really
> can decrease readability significantly, but imho example code (regardless
> of
> the context) should reflect current best practice and not based on
> guesswork
> about what language the users might be most familiar with.

I wonder what others in this group think? Maybe we could come up with some
guidelines for documentation writers.

Regards,
&rzej;