Subject: Re: [boost] usage of auto in tutorials
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-19 20:10:20

On 3/19/19 8:49 AM, Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost wrote:

> I wonder what others in this group think? Maybe we could come up with some
> guidelines for documentation writers.
>
> Regards,
> &rzej;

FWIW - my personal rule is to never use auto.

The type conveys information. I think hiding information is a bad idea
in general. (note before anyone complains: hiding information is not
the same as abstracting and interface).

auto is hack to permit one to work around some unfortunate situation
which might occur while engaged in Template MetaProgramming. I haven't
kept track, but I've found it necessary in probably less than 10 cases
over the years.

(Almost) Never use auto!)

Robert Ramey