Subject: Re: [boost] questions about boost multiprecision
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-22 15:44:16

On 3/22/19 2:47 AM, John Maddock via Boost wrote:

>> Spending some time on this makes me appreciate what an incredibly
>> ambitious accomplishment this is.  It's really unbelievable.  I would
>> be curious how frequently various parts of the package are used.
>
> Aren't we all ;)

Nope - I've advocated on multiple occasions for a boost effort to
determine frequency of library use, libraries desired by the user
community, etc. This would give us an idea what kinds of projects we
should promote via GSOC, C++Now talks, etc and which projects we might
consider deprecating etc. But These efforts have always resulted in
push back from a large number of people who think this is a bad idea or
wast of time. I personally fail to understand this.

I'm still thinking about this.

Having spent more time with multi-precision, I'm only now aware of the
(sort of) overlap with some aspects of safe numerics. This opens up a
whole new can of worms in my brain.

Robert Ramey