Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc19] Interested in Boost.Geometry PROJECT 2 (Support for non-cartesian)
From: Damian Vicino (damian_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-04-03 17:37:49

> > 2. On GSoC GitHub page, there are 4 projects on Boost.Geometry, but are only
> > 2 potential mentors.
> > I guess that only 2 students are chosen, right? I just want to make sure.
>
> I do not see how this affects the student's proposal but depending on
> the quality of the applications
> the number of selected students for Boost Geometry will be from zero to two.

Knowing how many spot are considered may help students to decide how
much effort to put in secondary applications. Google allows to apply
to more than one project/org at this stage.
In general, I would advice to make most the effort in the main
proposal of what you want to work, but still have backup proposals to
submit.
The main point of GSOC is helping integrate students as new members of
the community while working in something cool, and many times great
students with great proposals doesn't participate just because they
put all eggs in a single basket that many others also put eggs and
that basket only had space for 1/2 eggs.
The GSOC goal can be achieved working in different libraries or even
in different orgs than you preferred one, and the learning could be
applied to work in your favourite project afterward if you didn't get
it to happen on during the GSOC.
BTW, if you apply to 2 project under same org, make clear what is your
preference order.