Subject: Re: [boost] To modularize, or not to modularize. What is the plan?
From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-05-08 04:27:01

On 8/05/2019 14:33, Rene Rivera wrote:
> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 9:12 PM Peter Dimov wrote:
>> This will happen automatically if building with b2 or CMake, assuming that
>> the dependencies - including the header-only ones - are properly "linked
>> to". Not when just adding a bag of sources to a project though.
>
> True.. But users already do similar operations when adding Boost and other
> libraries.

Currently, most users just say "I want to use Boost" and add one include
path and one library path.

In a modular Boost world, perhaps a user might say "I want to use
Boost.Thread", and add one include path and one library path.

Except that this won't work without the "preprocessing". I don't think
that this user would want to add the 62 other libraries (I counted) that
are apparently required (according to boostdep/depinst) in order to use
Boost.Thread.

(Granted, it's probably being overly pessimistic -- I don't see why
Boost.Thread should depend on Boost.Regex, for example -- but that's
where we are right now.)