From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-05-16 00:16:41

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 1:20 PM Dimitri John Ledkov via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 10:03, Joshua Marshall <jrmarsha_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > A few of us with Boost are trying to decide support of different
> compilers. I know that Ubuntu collects some anonymized statistics which
> could help us some. Could someone please collect and forward the following
> bits of information to boost_at_[hidden] :
> > Install base size of Ubuntu 14.04 to 19.04
> > Per OS version, what versions of GCC, Clang, and Boost are installed on
> what percentage of the install base.
> > --
>
> From Ubuntu development point of view, our biggest concern is that no
> stable releases of boost claim to be supported or tested with the next
> GCC compiler.
>
> For example, for 19.10 we will be switching to GCC-9 by default, yet
> boost 1.70.0 primary test compilers do not include GCC-9 for Linux.
> Ideally, we would like to see boost upstream include next-gcc as part
> of primary or additional test compilers for every boost release.

I run all the teeks99-* testers that can be found in the test matrix [1]
[2]. All these runners are docker instances based on scripts found in my
repo [3] (get them from the hub [4]) which in turn are based on these [5].
These are all based on Ubuntu LTS releases. For the released compiler for
each release that is used in the image, but for most gcc versions I use the
compiler from the PPA for Toolchain Test Builds [6]. I've been waiting with
baited breath for a gcc-9 build for bionic to be pushed up to there (and
even an update to the gcc-8 for point releases!). If you can make that
happen (or point me towards an alternative?) I can get tests running
against gcc-9 in short order.

LLVM is a much easier setup. That project provides their own builds of
llvm/clang for ubuntu [7], for every release, point release, and even
nightly master. Ideally someone should setup something similar for GCC, but
I don't think I'll have time to take that on in the near future.

Tom

[1] https://www.boost.org/development/tests/master/developer/summary.html
[2] https://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/summary.html
[3] https://github.com/teeks99/boost-cpp-docker