From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-05-29 22:07:18

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 7:16 PM Tom Kent <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 1:20 PM Dimitri John Ledkov via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 10:03, Joshua Marshall <jrmarsha_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > A few of us with Boost are trying to decide support of different
>> compilers. I know that Ubuntu collects some anonymized statistics which
>> could help us some. Could someone please collect and forward the following
>> bits of information to boost_at_[hidden] :
>> > Install base size of Ubuntu 14.04 to 19.04
>> > Per OS version, what versions of GCC, Clang, and Boost are installed on
>> what percentage of the install base.
>> > --
>>
>> From Ubuntu development point of view, our biggest concern is that no
>> stable releases of boost claim to be supported or tested with the next
>> GCC compiler.
>>
>> For example, for 19.10 we will be switching to GCC-9 by default, yet
>> boost 1.70.0 primary test compilers do not include GCC-9 for Linux.
>> Ideally, we would like to see boost upstream include next-gcc as part
>> of primary or additional test compilers for every boost release.
>>

> I run all the teeks99-* testers that can be found in the test matrix [1]
> [2]. All these runners are docker instances based on scripts found in my
> repo [3] (get them from the hub [4]) which in turn are based on these [5].
> These are all based on Ubuntu LTS releases. For the released compiler for
> each release that is used in the image, but for most gcc versions I use the
> compiler from the PPA for Toolchain Test Builds [6]. I've been waiting with
> baited breath for a gcc-9 build for bionic to be pushed up to there (and
> even an update to the gcc-8 for point releases!). If you can make that
> happen (or point me towards an alternative?) I can get tests running
> against gcc-9 in short order.
>
> LLVM is a much easier setup. That project provides their own builds of
> llvm/clang for ubuntu [7], for every release, point release, and even
> nightly master. Ideally someone should setup something similar for GCC, but
> I don't think I'll have time to take that on in the near future.
>
> Tom
>
> [1] https://www.boost.org/development/tests/master/developer/summary.html
> [2] https://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/summary.html
> [3] https://github.com/teeks99/boost-cpp-docker
> [4] https://hub.docker.com/r/teeks99/boost-cpp-docker/tags
> [5] https://github.com/teeks99/gcc-ubuntu-docker
> [6] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-toolchain-r/+archive/ubuntu/test
> [7] https://apt.llvm.org/

gcc-9 (teeks99-dkr-dg9-2a and teeks99-dkr-mg9-2a) is now in the test matrix.
gcc-8 (numerous runners) has been updated to 8.3.

I'm going to let the gcc-9 jobs gel for a bit more time, then I'll move the
bulk of the "current" test runners to that.

Thanks to Dimitri for helping get the PPA updated.

Tom