From: Hans Dembinski (hans.dembinski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-06-17 14:40:39

Dear degski and Niall,

> On 17. Jun 2019, at 14:24, Niall Douglas via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Save yourself the trouble and just fork and maintain
>> https://github.com/tcbrindle/span . It's already released under BSL-1.0, so
>> no problems there either. Then there's another one,
>> https://github.com/martinmoene/span-lite, equally BSL-1.0. It appears
>> std::mdspan is slightly more of a challenge.
>
> +1. They're Boost licensed, and Boost friendly authors to boot.

thank you for the pointers. I will check their implementations. Do you know why were these not proposed/accepted for inclusion in Boost?

> I personally use span-lite. It works well on C++ 98, incidentally.

In C++ 98 and without decltype and declval, it is more difficult to restrict the overloads of the templated constructors of span, I have to see how they do that.

> In any case, implementation is easy, it'll be the documentation which is
> hard, as always.

For a clone of std::span, one can base the documentation on cppreference.com, which is better than developing from scratch.

Best regards,
Hans