From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-06-28 10:08:19

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 at 11:38, Andrey Semashev via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Most C-style APIs follow the new/delete
> pattern, where you have a function that allocates and initializes a
> structure, returning a pointer to it, and another one to free it, along
> with any associated resources.

Doesn't sound like overkill to me, now I have no dependency and I can add
details at will [without reading any docs].

> Using a smart pointer to store a pointer
> to that structure is perfectly valid, and the easiest and most natural
> thing to do.

Right, most natural since C++11 that is then.

> And using a smart pointer to
> manage that resource is perfectly adequate.

It's the "if-I-have-a-hammer-everything-looks-like-a-nail-syndrom".

degski

--
@realdegski
https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2019/06/middleeast/saudi-teen-death-penalty-intl/