From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-07-04 00:34:15

On 4/07/2019 07:35, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On 7/3/19 6:48 PM, James E. King III wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:26 AM Andrey Semashev wrote:
>>>
>>> Doesn't the disjoint_sets git submodule need to be removed from the
>>> superproject?
>>
>> It was removed from develop in https://github.com/boostorg/boost/pull/283
>
> Strangely enough, it is still present in my .git/config, even after `git
> pull` and `git submodule update` in the Boost root.

What exists in your config file is as a result of the submodule init
commands, and does not get cleared because upstream removed the submodule.

The thing to check whether upstream still wants the submodule to exist
or not is the contents of the .gitmodules file.

Once you have confirmed that the module is no longer listed in
.gitmodules, run:

    git submodule deinit module-name

to remove it from your .git/config. This also deletes the directory on
disk, AFAIK (although I've never actually used this command myself, so
YMMV).

(As a side note, you can deinit [and then later re-init] submodules
which are still listed in .gitmodules as well if you like, if you just
don't want to have a copy of them checked out. This is not considered a
change that will push upstream. Of course, if the root build scripts or
other dependencies still want them to exist, then you won't actually be
able to build in that state.)