From: Mike (mike.dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-09-10 12:32:47

> Von: "Niall Douglas via Boost" <boost_at_[hidden]>
> On 10/09/2019 12:40, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:
> > On 09/09/2019 17:59, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> >> Beast has static_string which someone has asked to be move, is there
> >> any interest in moving this to Boost.Container?
> >
> > What's the advantage over a string_view?
>
> To answer my own question, it's a mutable string_view.

I thought a static_string is a type that owns the string data, so
nothing like a string_view (mutable or not) at all.

The difference compared to a std::string would be the same as
the difference between std::array vs std::vector i.e. the data is
stored in a fixed buffer inside the type and not on the heap,
which in turn means there is a fixed capacity (configurable via
a template parameter).

Thats exactly what I see in https://github.com/boostorg/beast/blob/b7230f12f16fe7a9f7a1ece5be1f607c8552448a/include/boost/beast/core/static_string.hpp

so I'm not sure, where your comparison to string_view comes
from.

Mike