From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-09-18 08:31:48

Boost - Dev mailing list wrote
> On 2019-09-17 20:35, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
>>
>> b) I think its time to seriously start to consider ideas about who open
>> source authors can get compensated for their efforts are widely used.
>
> If you (not personally you - in general) are looking for material
> compensation for your work then you've probably come to the wrong
> project. Not that rewarding developer's work is bad, but when you
> release source code under BSL or any other open source license, you have
> to understand that that act of release alone does not ensue compensation
> in return. In other words, you're not selling your code in a project
> like Boost, you're gifting it. Though you may receive immaterial
> compensation, like recognition among fellow developers and a nice line
> in your resumé.

There are situations when an open source software developer is
perfectly entitled to expect compensation from users of her/his
software.
A successful project can easily become a maintenance hassle
then satisfaction, self-fulfillment and good looking resume
are not enough to keep things rolling.

The GPL, for example, makes it clear that should the program prove
defective, she/he assumes the cost of all necessary servicing,
repair or correction:
https://media.ccc.de/v/bucharest-322-the-secret-life-of-open-source-developers

Some projects even use labeling to make it clear what issues/features
require funding
https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/milestone/GEOS%20Fund%20Me

Unfortunately, not every user of an open source project understands
that and some react in a very demotivating manner:
https://twitter.com/EvenRouault/status/1141389253093601280

Best regards,
Mateusz

-----