From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-12-16 21:32:19

On 12/16/2019 11:58 AM, Alexander Grund via Boost wrote:

> On 16.12.19 17:38, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:
>> On 12/16/2019 10:22 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:
>>> #if defined(PHOENIX_LIMIT) && !defined(BOOST_PHOENIX_LIMIT)
>>> #error In Boost 1.xx PHOENIX_LIMIT was renamed to BOOST_PHOENIX_LIMIT.
>>> Please upgrade your code to reflect the new name.
>>> #endif
>>
>> I am with Niall in this as I think that all Boost library macros
>> should begin with BOOST_SOMELIBRARY_UPPERCASENAMEOFMACRO_ETC. Maybe we
>> can, in general, deprecate the current macros that do not follow this
>> pattern and then change them to this pattern in some future Boost
>> release. Needless to say it is really important that C++ macro names
>> are as distinct as possible. We all know how ridiculous it is for
>> compiler implementations to name macros with names such as 'max' and
>> 'min' and all the troubles such names have caused for scores of C++
>> programmers down through the years.
>
> I do understand Peter though: This is dangerous!

You can eventually put in a common header included by all library XXX
headers:

#if defined(XXX_SOMEMACRO)
#error the correct definition for XXX_SOMEMACRO is now
BOOST_XXX_SOMEMACRO. Please make the change in your source code.
#endif

I understand that this may be annoying, but I think it is eventually
worth it. Boost could also provide a Python script to change the name of
macros to their Boost equivalent for all source files which may use
library XXX etc.

I understand that a macro named PHOENIX_SOMETHING is a pretty specific
macro name in its own right, and is probably never going to be
duplicated at a practical level in non-Phoenix code anywhere, so I am
not trying to be doctrinaire about Niall's suggestion. But I think the
suggestion is generally right in trying to avoid macro name clashes.