From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-01-22 03:36:52

On 21/01/2020 16:43, Vinnie Falco wrote:
> Is there any interest in a URL library for Boost? This is something
> that has been requested for a while now, and I've finally gotten
> around to it.

I'm quite interested.

Though some docs would be nice. ;)

> For servers, execution paths are provided to avoid all dynamic
> allocation. For example to retrieve the decoded username:
> url::static_pool<4000> sp;
> std::cout << u.username( sp.allocator() );

Repeated reinventing of static allocators gives me some pause. Maybe
that should be broken out into a separate library first?

And maybe recently-accepted FixedString could use it too (or you could
use theirs)?

> The library is here:
>
> <https://github.com/vinniefalco/url>

Glancing at
https://github.com/vinniefalco/url/blob/develop/include/boost/url/impl/basic_value.ipp,
it looks like there's quite a bit of duplicate code (eg. between
set_password and set_encoded_password).

I assume this is related to the desire to avoid allocation, but perhaps
you could make use of your own static_pool when delegating common
subtasks, rather than duplicating the logic?

(Side note: I find the "wrap at <40 columns" style harder to read. Who
has screens that narrow these days?)