From: Alexander Grund (alexander.grund_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-02-05 13:07:09

Am 05.02.20 um 13:47 schrieb Dimitri John Ledkov via Boost:
> As in Boost_VERSION is set to 1.71.0
>
> Now, lot of projects have Boost version comparison already and 1.71.0
> is less than 106501. This creates problems for example when trying to
> detect and use new-style pythonXY components, filesystem v3 api, etc.
>
> For example I found in Ubuntu packages stanzas like:
> if (${Boost_VERSION} LESS 104400)
>
> Can we please fix Boost_VERSION in the new-style cmake to be
> compatible / same / similar / higher than the old Boost_VERSION
> string?
I'd say: No.

Even CMake is now reporting the version in the "correct" x.y.z format
starting from CMake 3.15:
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.15/policy/CMP0093.html
It was a mistake on their side to ever report it otherwise.

There are already 3 Boost releases with BoostConfigs out there that
report the version "correctly" so changing this now will lead to
failures in other peoples projects.
So I'd rather have people fix their CMLs instead. They can also check
for and use Boost_VERSION_MACRO if they want.|