From: Janson R. (mlists.aerostun_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-09 13:10:25

On 09/03/2020 13:39, degski via Boost wrote:

> What do you mean with 'does not play nicely', I feel they opposite, no
> casts required, what's not to like?

Casts are surely required when you need to write a callback handler
which signature is imposed `void(void* payload)` by the C library.

By "not playing nicely" I mean that suddenly everything is a handle to
something in the library and can live wherever the library allocated it
(and that assumes that the running system even has dynamic memory
allocation).

> You cannot expect cross platform cross-compiler compatibility without a
> cost, iff that would be possible, we would already have that in C++ and C
> would remain a distant memory. Fact is, it's not a distant memory, and for
> good reason.

That's the same reasoning that makes people write brand C application
code today.

Janson