From: David Bellot (david.bellot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-29 22:49:35

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 12:31 AM Kostas Savvidis via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > On Mar 29, 2020, at 15:52, David Bellot via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> >
> > he fact they had
> > published good academic papers or received excellent grades in various
> > topics is mostly irrelevant.
>
> As an academic person, I have to insert a little feeble word in defense of
> academia here.
> Papers are not like school grades. People have been through hellfire to
> get there.
> In my opinion, if somebody proposed to write code BASED on those papers
> you all should give
> them class-A consideration.
> Of course, If it far from their field of study, then it is once again
> somewhat irrelevant.

Thanks Kostas for mentioning it. and I do agree with you.

And that's correct. I think my message was not clear enough. If they
published something very relevant to what we want or could achieve in
Boost, then by all means, we have to consider them.
I was only referring, as you said, to the fact that having a long list of
papers without connection to Boost or C++ or algorithms we're interested
in, doesn't give them priority of other students.
As I mentioned before, so far, by best GSoC experience has been with Master
and PhD students.
But if they can transform one of their paper into production-ready code,
then it's even better.