From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-05-23 15:56:07

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 06:25, Andrey Semashev via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 2020-05-23 12:56, Joaquin M López Muñoz via Boost wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Prompted by general feelings about Boost perceived lack of modernization
> > and internal "bloat",
> > and after an explicit survey on what users dislike about Boost [1], I
> > decided to try and write a more
> > or less fleshed out proposal for an epoch-based organization of Boost
> > libraries. I've extensively
> > tested and refined the proposal during discussions on Reddit and the
> > Boost Slack channel,
> > and I feel this is now ready for presentation at the mailing list:
> >
> > https://github.com/joaquintides/boost_epoch/blob/master/README.md
> >
> > I hope the proposal can start a productive conversation. Looking forward
> > to your feedback.
>
> From the article:
>
> > if you were writing a new candidate Boost library with C++11 as its
> baseline, would you strive to use std components rather than their Boost
> counterparts, no matter how good the latter are? I would say you would.
>
> I would not. As a user (either in-Boost or external) I would choose the
> library that is technically better. Boost.Regex is actually a very good
> example of such, as it is considerably faster than at least some popular
> std::regex implementations. There are other examples where Boost
> equivalents are technically better in one regard or another than the
> standard counterparts.

The Microsoft STL is now open source (I'm sure you've all heard about it),
So in the case of Microsoft, it suffices to create a PR and upstream the
better boost library. I believe (to know) for boost::regex this has already
happened or is going to happen. Boost should adopt <charconv> from
Microsoft.

degski

--
@systemdeg
"We value your privacy, click here!" Sod off! - degski