From: Dimitri John Ledkov (xnox_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-05-25 08:28:53

On Sun, 24 May 2020, 15:16 Peter Dimov via Boost, <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Joaquin M López Muñoz wrote:
>
> > Boost.Regex is admittedly a controversial point (as mentionedin the
> > proposal) due to its superior quality to some std implementations.
>
> There's nothing controversial about it. As of 2020, it should always be
> preferred over std::regex.

Boost-regex depends on ICU, and re-exports ICU symbols making its ABI
dependent on ICU ABI.

In Ubuntu we split publish boost. Up until 2016, there were packages in
"main" section that used boost-regex, since 2018 there are none - meaning
either stuff switched to std::regex or got demoted from "main" for other
reasons. I think it does line up with Ubuntu defaulting to c++11.

If boost-regex is better, should Ubuntu switch to it as the default
std::regex provider? Such that anything built on or for Ubuntu uses the
faster implementation?

Regards,

Dimitri.