From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-06-16 15:54:56

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 11:20 AM Phil Endecott via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Looking at the proposed Boost.Text source, I find that:
>
> 1. Many files don't have a copyright header. Random example:
> https://github.com/tzlaine/text/blob/master/include/boost/text/unencoded_rope.hpp
> I guess this is an oversight and is easily fixed.

Yes, definitely an oversight. I'll fix these.

> 2. Some files have a copyright header which is not the Boost
> licence. Example:
> https://github.com/tzlaine/text/blob/master/include/boost/text/transcode_algorithm.hpp
>
> This one has a requirement that binary distribution includes the
> copyright notice, which is not a requirement of the Boost licence,
> and will be problematic for some users.
>
> Are the only affected files the SIMD implementation, (c) Robert N
> Steagall? If so, can this be disabled (by default?) by the user
> to avoid the copyright notice requirement?

I can ask Bob for his permission to release these under the Boost
license. I'm certain he'll say yes.

> 3. The documentation includes a Unicode copyright notice:
> https://tzlaine.github.io/text/doc/html/boost_text__proposed_/unicode_copyright_notice.html
> This also includes a requirement that the copyright notice is included
> in data files, software or associated documentation, whatever that means.

I think it means exactly what I already did -- I put the copyright
notice in the associated documentation. Note that this code comes
from ICU, and Boost already has an optional dependency on ICU.

> It's not clear to me what this actually covers; again, can some
> functionality (e.g. UTF-N-to-M conversion without normalisation) work
> without the Unicode data?

It covers the files in include/boost/text/detail/icu. Those files
provide normalization. The transcoding stuff is unaffected.

Zach