From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-06-17 16:00:06

Zach Laine wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 11:20 AM Phil Endecott via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> 3. The documentation includes a Unicode copyright notice:
>> https://tzlaine.github.io/text/doc/html/boost_text__proposed_/unicode_copyright_notice.html
>> This also includes a requirement that the copyright notice is included
>> in data files, software or associated documentation, whatever that means.
>
> I think it means exactly what I already did -- I put the copyright
> notice in the associated documentation. Note that this code comes
> from ICU, and Boost already has an optional dependency on ICU.

I believe that the requirement also applies to the users of Boost.Text,
and that's where the problem lies. In the case of Boost.Locale, IIUC
it links with ICU; you don't link with ICU but instead you've embedded
tables derived from ICU into your source, so it's less obvious to users
that they are using ICU and need to acknowledge its copyright somewhere.

There's a rather longer ICU copyright statement here:
https://github.com/unicode-org/icu/blob/master/icu4c/LICENSE
Is Boost.Text using the various CJK word-splitting tables that it refers to?

If users of Boost.Text need to include that in their products' smallprint,
your docs should make that clear.

Regards, Phil.