From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-06-19 23:31:01

Zach Laine wrote:
> Of course, and I don't think Boost.Text actually imposes any such
> requirement. Boost.Locale also uses ICU headers and links to ICU, and
> neither shows the Unicode copyright, nor requires its users to do so.
>
> Boost.Text will have some code derived from ICU, and that implies that
> Boost.Text should impose the same license-notification obligations on the
> user that ICU does on Boost.Locale. That is, none.

This is one of those things for which lawyers say "this is an interesting
position, and I'd be glad to try it in court for you and see how it goes."

That is, while you could argue that, it's not really clear cut. Boost.Locale
does not distribute any ICU code, and the idea that using API headers
constitutes creating a derived work is an interesting proposition, one that
we should certainly not hope to be true.

Is it really necessary to use the original ICU files?