From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-06-20 08:09:14

On 2020-06-20 01:58, Zach Laine via Boost wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM Peter Dimov via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Phil Endecott wrote:
>>
>>> If users of Boost.Text need to include that in their products' smallprint,
>>> your docs should make that clear.
>>
>> A Boost library is not allowed to mandate this from users, regardless of
>> whether its docs make it clear. Such a requirement is a hard blocker, a
>> library like that can't be distributed in a Boost release. Or is not
>> supposed to be, anyway.
>
> Of course, and I don't think Boost.Text actually imposes any such
> requirement. Boost.Locale also uses ICU headers and links to ICU, and
> neither shows the Unicode copyright, nor requires its users to do so.

Boost.Locale is different in two respects:

1. The dependency on ICU is optional. Users can use Boost.Locale with
other backends, and I believe one of these backends doesn't add any
dependencies but the standard C++ library.

2. Even if you use ICU backend, Boost.Locale code is still covered by
BSL. Whatever the additional requirements on the user, they are coming
from ICU, not Boost, and per p.1 the user is in control of this.

If Boost.Text offered the same kind of flexibility then this would be
much less of an issue.

On this note I'm going to ask something probably obvious, but still:

1. Why do you have to embed ICU code or data in Boost.Text? Why can't
you link with it?

2. Is it possible to implement the ICU part locally, in Boost.Text, and
cover that implementation with BSL?