From: Ville Voutilainen (ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-06-27 20:08:00

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 at 22:57, Vinnie Falco via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Mailing list sucks. People that are not subscribed can't search
> through messages, and even people who are subscribed do not have
> access to messages from before they subscribed. Google doesn't index
> the mailing list, unless there is a mirror. In the case of Boost, the
> mirror is controlled by third parties and cannot be leveraged to
> generate traffic for boost.org and raise interest.
>
> The barrier for joining a mailing list just to ask one question is
> high. Right from the beginning you have to wait to get approved, and
> then you need to wait for approval to post. In a forum, you can post a
> message, get the URL of the message you just posted, and then share
> that with your friends out-of-band (for example, on Slack or in a
> reddit post) and get attention with possible replies right away. You
> can't do that with a mailing list.

Link to the archive once the first message gets through?

> With a forum, information can be grouped in a top down fashion for
> everyone. For example, we could create a subforum for each library
> being reviews, have the review take place entirely in the forum, and
> the forum is then locked and archived, available permanently through
> boost.org (and associated with the library as part of its social media
> history). At any point in the future someone could look through the
> original review for the library including everyone's questions and
> comments. They can share a link to the review subforum with their
> friends. Someone can write a blog post years later about the review
> and describe their experience, or lessons learned, or tout the great
> value of the Boost Review Process, and so on. These things are not
> possible with a mailing list.

Same thing, link to the archive.

> We absolutely should move to a forum on boost.org for all things,
> import as much as we can from the mailing list (as far back as
> possible) into the forum, and then cease the use of the mailing list
> forever. Anyone who emails the list should get an automated reply that
> says "Please register for the wonderful forums at boost.org" etc

Not that this is my concern really, I'm not a boost regular, but I have an email
system that beats the living daylights out of any forum that has ever
been suggested
to me. While I can't search the messages that were there before I
subscribed, for
the ones that are in my mail folders post-subscription the search I
have is vastly
superior to any forum. So are the filtering and other things.

Forums may be an attractive option. But they don't hold a candle to
some existing email
systems.