From: Jeff Garland (azswdude_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-06-28 16:56:21

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 9:46 AM Edward Diener via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> My point is that the history of what is said about a proposal by those
> either voting to accept or reject a proposal is not available in any
> form unless it is added to the proposal itself by someone. In your link
> I do not see the discussion about acceptance or rejection of the
> proposal by anyone, and if I look up most any given proposal, going back
> nnnn years ago I see nothing in the proposal itself explaining why it
> was accepted or rejected. Is it really too much to ask that the C++
> standards committee keep a record of the discussion for a given proposal
> which tells why a proposal is accepted to rejected ?

It's a proposal that is under revision and not complete. It's a newer
development in the committee process, but for this paper you can see most
of the relevant vote history on github:

https://github.com/cplusplus/papers/issues/511

> I became concerned about this not as just a theoretical problem because
> an idea I had which I thought would improve C++ was proposed in an even
> better way 17 years ago and rejected, and yet there is zero information
> why the proposal was rejected. But I am trying not to focus on my idea
> but on the general issue that the reasons a proposal are accepted or
> rejected by the C++ standards committee is completely lost to anyone who
> was not there at the time when the proposal was "debated". I found this
> very poor in an age of digital information.

If you want something more than the votes, then that might fall into the 2%
that needs a committee member to answer. And hopefully from this
discussion, you know who to ask.