From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-06-30 00:08:32

On 29/06/2020 22:30, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> Using corporate email for mailing lists is probably not the best idea,
> unless you're participating on behalf of the company. However,
> signatures are configurable and removable when posting a message. I
> admit, this may be less convenient if you have to remove the signature
> before posting.

Actually, corporate signatures aren't always removable. Sometimes
they're added by the mail server rather than the mail client.

>> 4) Easy to see from a high level what all the topics of discussion
>> are. At
>> the moment there's a boost users list, a boost developers list. Think
>> there's one for Spirit. Is there one for UBLAS too? Not sure what others.
>
> I believe, the suggestion was to have multiple forums, in which case you
> will have multiple lists of posts as well.
>
> If you mean grouping messages in threads then every decent email client
> has that capability.

Speaking as one of the anachronistic old engineers, I prefer using
newsgroups (via gmane, creaky as it may be) over forums over mailing
lists, in that order.

Another group I frequently participated in recently retired a "real"
newsgroup server and switched over to a mailing list, and I ended up not
participating any further until after it was mirrored to gmane.

(And I'm currently reading this list via gmane as well.)

This isn't really any sort of philosophical issue; I just tend to forget
that web forums exist, so don't check them as often, whereas both email
and newsgroups are more in-your-face -- and I personally find the UX of
newsgroups to be preferable.

(Some people may regard "less in-your-face" as a feature, but I find it
means more messages build up between checks which makes it take longer
to catch up, increasing the likelihood of putting it off until you have
"more time" and then quickly becoming unmanageable. Maybe that's just me.)

But any change, no matter which direction, is likely to dislodge some
people -- it's more a question of whether there'd be enough new people
attracted to warrant it. (This happens with any kind of community.)