From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-08-23 21:23:44

Ville Voutilainen wrote:
> It is, however, worth noting that if you have, say, 16 different possible
> preprocessor outputs, you can just ship one header with the preprocessor
> conditionals that with their different values give you 16 programs, but
> you need to ship 16 modules to get the same result in a modular world.

In Boost's case, since everything includes <boost/config.hpp>, we have
millions of possible preprocessor outputs. Shipping precompiled modules for
all of these isn't going to be feasible.

We might however be able to build the modules as part of the Boost build, if
B2 evolves appropriately and compilers choose the "modules as precompiled
headers" model as the most practical.