From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-08-25 15:06:02

Janek Kozicki wrote:
> There are debian packages available which support UTF-8 encoding,
> conversion etc. Debian has rather strict license requirements.

Not as strict as Boost's. Boost's requirement is that the code
should be licensed under the Boost Licence. Debian accepts code
under many licences - for example, there are many Debian packages
that are GPL-licensed, and I hope everyone understands that you
cannot incorporate someone else's GPL-licensed code into a Boost
library.

It is also worth noting that on a Debian system you can look in
/usr/share/doc/libicu*/copyright and see Unicode's required
attribution statement. Similarly, if you have an iPhone you can
look in Settings -> General -> Legal & Regulatory -> Legal Notices
and see the Unicode attribution statement. This is the practical
issue that the Boost licensing policy is trying to deal with:
it has been decided that users of Boost should not have the burden
of accompanying their Boost-using end products with the thousands
of lines of attribution material that you see in those cases.

Regards, Phil.