From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-09-01 13:16:45

Paul A Bristow wrote:

> I sense it is unlikely that we would get a definitive legal opinion, even
> after paying money, for a
license detail that is clearly ill-defined.

I agree. The proper role of our legal representative - if we had one - in
this case would not be to provide us with legal advice, but to contact the
legal representative of the Unicode Consortium, explain the situation (Boost
does not allow libraries that impose an attribution requirement for
binaries, which on its face precludes us ever having a Unicode library), ask
them to maybe consider dropping that requirement from their license, failing
that, ask them for an explicit permission for Boost libraries to use their
data files without such a license requirement, failing that, ask them for a
clear and an official statement that they do stand by this license
requirement.

(In the last case all we can do is write a few angry blog posts, tweet them
and link them on Reddit.)