From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-10-05 08:02:10

pon., 5 paź 2020 o 09:50 Andrzej Krzemienski <akrzemi1_at_[hidden]>
napisał(a):

> pon., 5 paź 2020 o 02:30 Gavin Lambert via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> napisał(a):
>
>> This is not (yet?) a review, although I guess this could be counted as a
>> partial review towards the current state of the docs; but after reading
>> them I have several questions.
>>
>> 1. Why is the term "reflection" used at all? As far as I am aware, this
>> is primarily used to refer to accessing member names from the structure,
>> which is not something that this library provides at all, so at best
>> this seems highly misleading. The original "magic get" name seems more
>> appropriate since it is primarily about extending tuple-get to basic
>> structures without boilerplate macros.
>>
>> 2. An up-front clarification on the limitations of supported structures
>> would be nice. "Aggregate initialisable" is not a concept that everyone
>> is familiar with.
>>
>> 3. What is the motivation for "flat" reflection to exist, at all? I
>> can't find any explanation of why one might want to do it; other than
>> completely disregarding type safety, which seems like a bad thing. (I
>> assume there is some reason that I'm not aware of, but that's why an
>> explanation would be nice.)
>>
>> 4. Flat reflection is stated to be non-portable, raising further
>> questions as to why it exists at all.
>>
>> 5. Many of the intro pages talk about "disabling loophole" with no
>> explanation of what that is. The configuration macros page finally
>> presents a link that doesn't really explain anything anyway, other than
>> suggesting it is a Dark Magic that was intended to be banned but nobody
>> had gotten around to it yet.
>>
>> 6. Speaking of the configuration macros page, it doesn't indicate what
>> values are the defaults, other than it "auto-detects your compiler". I
>> assume from the surrounding text that it would prefer to use C++17 and
>> would use "loophole" (whatever that is) otherwise, but it would be good
>> to make that (or whatever it actually does instead) explicit.
>>

>> Granted #3 can't get you into *too* much trouble with the limitation on
>> only supporting aggregate-initialised types... but on the other hand,
>> type hierarchies are still significant for aggregates (it can be
>> important to distinguish a "handle" from a plain int, or a Boost.Units
>> value from another with different unit). And it feels like you're doing
>> C++ wrong if you're using aggregate types much; they're only a little
>> better than PODs.
>>
>> (In all existing codebases I use, there are almost no aggregate types,
>> although there are a few almost-aggregates that have simple initialising
>> constructors, for example, or make member fields private and use a
>> get-set method pattern "just in case". I imagine this is likely to be
>> true of most real-world codebases.)
>>
>> Having said that, I can see some value in aggregate types as DTOs (for
>> database/json/etc translation) and for reducing usage of std::pair and
> [...]

Having said that, I now actually see how the "flat" part can address my use
case. I need to define my types like this:

```
struct Person {
  std::string firstName;
  std::string lastName;
  int age;
};

struct Employee {
  Person person;
  double salary;
};

struct Prisoner {
  Person person
  int cellNumber;
};
```

This library is great (at what it is doing). It just does not demonstrate
it clear enough in the documentation.

I guess the key to understanding and appreciating it is to understand the
flow:
1. First, I have a library (Spirit, "Clever SQL") that requires structures
with index-based access.
2. Second, I define aggregates *only* for the purpose of working with this
library.
3. PFR helps me with plugging these aggregates into the library.

IOW, you appreciate the PFR library when you create aggregates as an
intermediate representation of data from libraries like Boost.Spirit.

Regards,
&rzej;