From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-10-05 13:53:41

пн, 5 окт. 2020 г. в 03:30, Gavin Lambert via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>:

> This is not (yet?) a review, although I guess this could be counted as a
> partial review towards the current state of the docs; but after reading
> them I have several questions.
>
> 1. Why is the term "reflection" used at all? As far as I am aware, this
> is primarily used to refer to accessing member names from the structure,
> which is not something that this library provides at all, so at best
> this seems highly misleading. The original "magic get" name seems more
> appropriate since it is primarily about extending tuple-get to basic
> structures without boilerplate macros.

Any name is bad:
* magic get - gives no clue on what the library does
* reflection - according to wiki "reflection is the ability of a
process to examine the type or properties of an object, and modify its
own structure and behavior.". PFR library gives you the ability to do
that, but not on such a great level as some Java/C# users are used to.
* "tuple representation" - that's quite good, but I'd like to give a
hint to users, that the library does simple reflection

Here comes the plan:
* s/reflection/tuple representation/g
* add a few sentences in the Motivation section and Readme to clarify
that we are talking about very simple reflection cases

> 2. An up-front clarification on the limitations of supported structures
> would be nice. "Aggregate initialisable" is not a concept that everyone
> is familiar with.

I'll add an example.

> 3. What is the motivation for "flat" reflection to exist, at all? I
> can't find any explanation of why one might want to do it; other than
> completely disregarding type safety, which seems like a bad thing. (I
> assume there is some reason that I'm not aware of, but that's why an
> explanation would be nice.)

It's quite useful for some use cases (hashing).

> 4. Flat reflection is stated to be non-portable, raising further
> questions as to why it exists at all.
>
> 5. Many of the intro pages talk about "disabling loophole" with no
> explanation of what that is. The configuration macros page finally
> presents a link that doesn't really explain anything anyway, other than
> suggesting it is a Dark Magic that was intended to be banned but nobody
> had gotten around to it yet.

I'll try to improve the docs.

> 6. Speaking of the configuration macros page, it doesn't indicate what
> values are the defaults, other than it "auto-detects your compiler". I
> assume from the surrounding text that it would prefer to use C++17 and
> would use "loophole" (whatever that is) otherwise, but it would be good
> to make that (or whatever it actually does instead) explicit.

Defaults change depending on the compiler minor/major version, C++
standard version, standard library implementation and version.

I'll add a short description on prefered implementations.

> Granted #3 can't get you into *too* much trouble with the limitation on
> only supporting aggregate-initialised types... but on the other hand,
> type hierarchies are still significant for aggregates (it can be
> important to distinguish a "handle" from a plain int, or a Boost.Units
> value from another with different unit). And it feels like you're doing
> C++ wrong if you're using aggregate types much; they're only a little
> better than PODs.
>
> (In all existing codebases I use, there are almost no aggregate types,
> although there are a few almost-aggregates that have simple initialising
> constructors, for example, or make member fields private and use a
> get-set method pattern "just in case". I imagine this is likely to be
> true of most real-world codebases.)

Yep, unfortunately C++ provokes you to write such code. That's a bad
practice that could be avoided with PFR, see "Motivation and Examples"
at http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p2141r0.html

Probably I should add that motivation from the paper to the PFR docs.

> Having said that, I can see some value in aggregate types as DTOs (for
> database/json/etc translation) and for reducing usage of std::pair and
> std::tuple, which is a good thing, though only if used in limited scope.
> But that usage doesn't explain "flat" either; the type hierarchy still
> should be important.
>
> Precise reflection, on the other hand, seems more potentially useful,
> save for the unfortunate -- though understandable -- limitation on only
> aggregates. Having said that, I've personally never found a use-case
> for a tuple-like get interface for anything, so perhaps I'm just not the
> target audience for this library.
>
> (I also have a strong dislike for aggregate initialisation being
> order-based in the first place; I would have preferred something like
> C99's named initialisation. C++20 is adding something that they're
> calling that, but is utterly useless and crippled instead of doing it
> properly.)

I'll try to update docs in a few hours to address the above issues

--
Best regards,
Antony Polukhin