From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-10-26 10:41:22

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 at 11:17, Mike via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Gesendet: Montag, 26. Oktober 2020 um 10:37 Uhr
> > Von: "Mateusz Loskot via Boost" <boost_at_[hidden]>
> >
> > Could anyone help us validate and confirm that
> > it's a good plan or are we overlooking any policies
> > from Boost's release perspective?
>

> Just a general comment from the perspective of a user
> (that is a user of boost in general, not boost-gil specifically).
> Part of declaring c++XX support deprecated should also be
> listing the concrete compilers whose support you are
> deprecating.

This is a good point.

> E.g. I think the first c++17 bits have been implemented in
> gcc 6 and gcc 7 had mostly complete support, but it took
> till gcc 9 before the standard library gained support for pmr
> and to_chars is - to the bestof my knowledge - still not
> implemented for floating point types even in g++-10/11.

One of motivations is to drop support for GCC 5,
It just seem simpler to assume C++17 as requirement
with comment that some compilers w/ partial C++17
support may still work.
It may also be possible to list required C++17 features
per Boost (GIL) release, but that list may change
in any next release, obviously.

Best regards,