From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-11-06 18:21:49

On 11/6/2020 10:33 AM, Glen Fernandes via Boost wrote:
> On Friday, November 6, 2020, Edward Diener via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>

>> There has been no effort to merge the 'develop' branch of 'random' into
>> 'master' and now the deadline for doing so has passed, at least for the
>> beta release. Can anyone look into doing this and maintaining the 'random'
>> library, at least for the future ? It is disappointing to me that my simple
>> fix which would allow the Embarcadero C++ clang-based compiler to use Boost
>> random will not get in the upcoming release, because it is the only Boost
>> library of which I know for which my fixes to allow the Embarcadero C++
>> clang-based compilers to work properly has not been applied for the 1.75
>> release.
>>

> If someone is willing to contribute an Embarcadero C++ clang-based tester
> to the Boost regression test matrix, it would probably make it easier for
> maintainers to support this compiler going forward.

I discussed this with Embarcadero, hoping they could contribute. While I
certainly think it is important, it is of prior importance that Boost
allow the Embarcadero C++ clang-based compilers to at least compile/link
Boost libraries correctly. This is what I have been trying to do with my
fixes, incidentally discovering Embarcadero C++ clang-based compiler
bugs along the way and reporting them to Embarcadero. If I can fully
accomplish my initial aim, which I was hoping to do by this 1.75
release, maybe Embarcadero can be convinced to be more pro-active in
supporting Boost with regression tests, free versions for Boost
developers, and some CI testing framework for Embarcadero C++
clang-based compilers. But until I can accomplish this basic goal, I
doubt Embarcadero will listen if I ask them again to be involved in
supporting Boost with their clang-based compiler(s). The fact that it
has taken a nearless endless amount of cajoling by me, just to accept
the necessary fixes so that the Embarcadero C++ clang-based compilers
can use Boost libraries. is disappointing to me. But I do realize that
Boost libraries are supported by maintainers freely in their free time,
and that maintainers are always doing their best.