From: pbristow_at_[hidden]
Date: 2020-12-31 10:19:08

Thomas
> Alva Edison as well as electrical engineers would object, but light bulb sockets have largely been
> standardized, at leats here in the US, whereas C++'s standardization is a moving target.

It's far worse than that - the toolchain implementations are a movable feast too!

But the TL;DR answer to your question is "assume C++11",

but I believe that we should also encourage would-be users to consult the regression matrix

https://www.boost.org/development/tests/master/developer/summary.html

for more detailed info on what is known to work with some confidence based on tests,

and finally try it and see, rather than making big decisions and investments after assuming the
cxxstd info is definitive.

Paul

PS We are steering a difficult course between trying to encourage users to use the most recent
(hopefully best) compilers and Cxxstd while avoiding putting off (and losing) those who are happily
using ancient compilers, and can probably continue to do so.