From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-03-10 14:52:09

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 15:14, Ruben Perez via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 03:32, Edward Diener via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > On 3/9/2021 5:04 PM, Ruben Perez via Boost wrote:
> > >
> > > I would like to propose a MySQL client library for Boost (under the
> > > original name of Boost.Mysql). It is a full implementation of the MySQL
> > > client protocol, based on Boost.Asio. It requires C++11.
> >
> > There is a MySQL++ library at https://tangentsoft.com/mysqlpp/home,
> > which I have used in the past and found useful. How does your API
> > compared to that library ?
>

> - The scope of the two libraries are inherently different. mysql++ is a
> C++ wrapper around libmysqlclient, and provides things like query building
> and connection pools. Boost.Mysql is an implementation of the MySQL client
> protocol, and thus provides an API to use that protocol. Boost.Mysql is a
> level of abstraction below mysql++ - it is at libmysqlclient level.

That makes me happy to endorse your library.

Having witnessed failure of Boost efforts towards std::rdb a decade+ ago,
having maintained at least two wrappers on top of a database client libraries,
I'm enthusiastic about the protocol implementation approach and
happy to observe the interest here.
Unlike a wrapper library, this has a chance to find supporters
among the Boost Community members.

Best regards,