From: Dominique Devienne (ddevienne_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-03-10 16:02:31

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 4:35 PM Richard Hodges via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 16:16, Niall Douglas via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]>
> > I am not warm on the use of variants in this situation.
> In almost all applications, "1", 1 and true all mean the same thing.

I couldn't disagree more. This is not Javascript land, this is
strongly-typed C++.

A low-level DB network protocol implementation should provide a 100%
accurate
view of the data returned by the DB. Your "1", 1, true "equivalence" above
can be
made on top of an low-level fully accurate type system.

That's not to say I'm against the variant approach, IFF the original type
returned by the DB can still be known.
I.e. I must be able to recast (in my own code, independently of Ruben's
API) that 64-bit int into the appropriate
1, 2, 4, or 8 byte integer if I need to. Which implies there's a way to get
that DB-original type.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves here, no? I support a review of
proposed Boost.MySQL.
Even though, as stated in the past, I only care of Boost.PostgreSQL myself,
unfortunately... --DD