From: Rainer Deyke (rdeyke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-03-17 08:34:08

On 16.03.21 23:42, Emil Dotchevski via Boost wrote:
> "Splintering the community" simply means that there is not yet a standard
> way for doing something. Either all the available libraries have issues, or
> the problem being solved has multiple valid solutions. In the former case,
> develop a library that works better than the rest. In the latter case, the
> fact that no standard emerges is a good thing -- adding yet another way
> for doing something benefits nobody.

Or all of the libraries are functionally identical, and the main reason
for choosing one over the other is compatibility with other third-party
libraries.

> I'm not interested in discussing the authors' motivation, that is
> irrelevant. When I mentioned politics, I meant that there are politics
> involved in the decision making process in the committee, not that the
> politics are motivating anyone.

The statement to which I was responding was this:

>> On 15.03.21 22:37, Emil Dotchevski via Boost wrote:
>>> The committee seems to be concerned more with internal and external
>>> politics than with serving the community. If that wasn't true there
> would
>>> be ZERO library additions that haven't been battle hardened by being
>>> deployed and established themselves as the defacto standard already.

This is very much talking about the motivation (or "concern") of the
committee.

Criticize the processes, policies, priorities, and results of the
committee all you want. But if you actually want to convince people on
the committee of your point of view, you're going to have to present a
stronger argument than "if you don't do it my way, you've been corrupted
by politics."

--
Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])