From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-03-19 21:26:36

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 12:44 PM Keith Bennett via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > If you're trying to put something line "Generated from commit <SHA1>"

I don't think this is particularly friendly to users, and it is a
brittle solution anyway. I know of one library that tries to do this
of course, make what you will of the author:

<https://github.com/ned14/outcome/blob/b9e664fbf87a4122731f7f19590abad24f1448b8/include/outcome/detail/revision.hpp#L25>

Beast simply keeps its own version number which I increment *every*
time there are new commits placed on the branch. I do this for Beast
because users may need security updates in between Boost releases:

<https://github.com/boostorg/beast/commits/master>

The tip of the master and develop branches *always* has a
version-setting commit. This eliminates any possible confusion about
what code someone is using.

Thanks