From: Jeff Garland (azswdude_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-05-02 13:12:33

I haven't thought about tokenizer in a long time since string_algo is the
swiss army knife of strings -- but yeah, interesting -- it's small and well
contained. More thoughts inline:

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 5:33 AM Bjorn Reese via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 2021-05-01 00:55, Jeff Garland via Boost wrote:
>
> > Every year at the end of the session, I solicit ideas from the community
> > about what 'library' we should work on in the following year. One
>
> Boost.Tokenizer could do with a modernization. It generates a lot of
> code for even simple tokenizations, which makes it unsuitable for
> embedded devices. Some issues to consider:

Is there something specific in the implementation other than using
templates that causes this?

> * Separate the browsing API from the conversion API.

Not sure I follow -- are the sub-bullets what you mean?

> ** The browsing API should use string_view.

For sure.

   ** The conversion API should use output buffers instead of returing
> a string.
> * Provide an API with narrow contracts

   * Provide a constexpr API.

Yes.

In 2021 it seems like we should turn the whole thing into range based
token_view that takes string_view and provides string_view of each token.

Jeff