From: Peppard (peppard+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-05-04 21:37:40

On 2021-04-29 19:34, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> Bintray is “sunsetting” on the 1st of May.
> At that time, you will be unable to download boost releases from there.
> Before that time, their service will be occasionally interrupted.

It would be nice if Boost could provide more persistent download URLs,
as such changes can mess up automated downloads (scripts, Dockerfiles, ...).

> (The pre-1.63 releases are still hosted at SourceForge)

Actually I'm currently using SourceForge for automated downloads as this
seems to be the only place where you can download all official releases
in a uniform manner, which is important when the version number is
merely a parameter. However it does not work for all betas and release
candidates, and it's an external service that could change anytime as well.

It's not necessary for Boost to host the actual downloads themselves,
but I think a redirect service to the actual download URLs would be good
for such use cases, ideally also covering betas and release candidates.

(Another problem regarding automated downloads are the missing
signatures, but that's probably too off-topic here.)

Thanks!