From: Julien Blanc (julien.blanc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-05-31 16:15:23

Le lundi 31 mai 2021 à 08:13 -0400, Edward Diener via Boost a écrit :

> My beef is that the CMake documentation does not tell you what
> compilers
> a particular generator supports, except for the Visual Studio
> generators. Period.

Because this is an odd question, in a cmake-centric view. Any generator
can launch any compiler (any build step) as part of the build process.
They're orthogonal concepts. Now there is the special case of Visual
Studio, where the build system, the project manager and the compiler
are so tied together that it makes it really hard to use the VS build
system to compile using any other compiler, and vice-versa. Which is
why it is mentioned in the generator documentation.

I do agree, however, that cmake documentation could largely be
improved. Good news is that this is actually happening (documentation
was far worse several years ago, and gets better with every release).

Regards,

Julien